Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day



I had intended to do this post all about how this was the first Mother's Day without my grandma and all that, but I changed my mind after I went to Utah this weekend. Jay and Jared wanted to go hunting, but they were going during the week and Mandie had to work, so I went along to watch Chloe.
I have babysat tons of kids, ever since I was about 12 years old. And I have even watched my cousin's kids for a weekend when they went out of town. But I either only watched them for a day, or I had someone else to watch them with me. This time, it was just me. Morning til night. I had no idea how much work a 13 month old can be. She's up at 7 AM, we had a cuddle while watching Dora first thing. But then it was go, go, go...all day long. Play time, then breakfast, then more playtime while I was making breakfast, all the time trying to keep an eye on her. After breakfast was a bath, and then, thank goodness, nap time. But it was nap time just for her. This was my one chance to get a shower. Then I scarfed down some breakfast myself, and cleaned up the mess. By this time, she was up again. Playing and then lunching and constantly following me, wondering what I was doing. Oh my golly! By the time bedtime came around at 8, I was ready to put myself to bed too. She just wore me out!
But, oh those little moments...when I was making lunch and her little smiling face peeked around the corner...when pushing her on the swing and listening to her laugh...when we were laying on the floor playing and she pointed out my eyes, nose, and teeth, and knew where her own were as well. When rocking her to sleep, and she turned and cuddled up in my arms, and gave that little sigh that meant she was truly asleep, peaceful, happy and content. Those little moments more than made up for the fact that I hadn't worn makeup in 3 days, my hair had been in a ponytail for 3 days, and I couldn't get dora's songs out of my head. Life, and motherhood, is all about those moments.
Thanks, to all the moms out there. And a big thanks to my mom, who did that with three kids. I love you Mom!



0 comments: