Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ladies....

I had an epiphany last night at work. Ok, maybe epiphany is too big of a word, but I did realize something important. I was chatting with another nurse and she started telling me all about this patient she had earlier today. She was telling me how he was playing with himself, but the language she used was very crude and graphic. This nurse is older and married, and I thought what happened to the times when these things weren't discussed in front of unmarried women. I realize that in the profession that I am in, we deal with bodies, and bodily functions and sometimes seeing people naked is part of that. But do we really need to discuss it outside of the medical aspects? It was really kind of offensive to me.
Later that night I got a patient, a young girl, who was just arrested for drunk driving. She was brought in by the police because she had wrecked her car. As the police were drawing her blood to check her blood alcohol level she launched into a profanity laced tirade. Now, these officers were being very nice to her, and were intending to just issue her a ticket and let her go, but when she started screaming at them, and calling them every nasty name in the book, they decided to take her in. I wish she could have seen herself, and the look on her face, as the filthiness spewed from her mouth. And again I thought, what happened to the days when men wouldn't even use those words in the presence of ladies, let alone the thought of ladies using them. 
And then I realized that I too had used those words, not frequently, but I have been known to bust out a 4 letter word once in a while. And then I realized that we women are not acting like ladies any more. And then I decided that I am going back to being a lady. When someone starts discussing inappropriate things with me, I will take a stance, I will say that I find that offensive or inappropriate and walk away. When someone starts spouting the bad words, I will remind them that there are ladies present and we don't talk like that in front of ladies. I will watch myself to make sure that I don't behave in un-ladylike ways.
This doesn't mean that I will be a pushover. Quite the opposite really. I will take a stand for what I believe in, and I will act in accordance with those beliefs. Hold me accountable, if you hear a profane word from my mouth, let me know. If I say something that you think is inappropriate for a lady to say, let me know. And I will do the same for you.
Girls, I urge you to act like ladies. Let's do this, and let's change the world while were at it. One lady at a time.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I've thought about this a time or two myself. I try quite often to lose the 4 letter words from my vocabulary. It's hard. I'll be praying for you in this endeavor, and I hope you'll pray for me too. You are right, and it's part of why guys are so disrespectful to women...it's something we've allowed. Thanks for the reminder, and I'm with ya! Let's make it happen!